September is PCOS awareness month I am a sufferer of this condition
so it sees fit to do a little post on it.
What is PCOS?
PCOS is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
It effects one in ten women
and is a hormone imbalance
which means that it can be a cause of
infertility, weight gain and irregular or absent periods.
Generally women with PCOS can suffer from the following:
- Irregular or absent periods
- Cysts on Ovaries
- Higher chance of miscarriage and/or having a still born
- Pelvic pain
- Weight gain and/or difficulty to loose weight
- Lack of ovulation
- Heavy/painful periods
-Hair loss/fine hair
- Excess body hair
- Skin tags or darkening of the skin
- Sleep apnoea
- High blood pressure
- Higher risk of type 2 diabetes
- Higher chance of heart disease
- Higher risk of cancer of the uterus
PCOS can be hard to diagnose
but a simple blood test and/or ultrasound scan can detect it.